Skip to main content

Blog Post #5

Nurturing Young Innovators: Chapter 5

Image result for steam in education

            This chapter speaks mostly about examples and ideas of how early childhood educators can create makerspaces in the three environments they are in most which are; school, home, and community. The makerspaces encourage children to think creatively, work creatively with others, and implement innovations. What I really enjoyed about this chapter, is that it gave step by step instructions of how to get started making for new teachers, like myself. For example, the book stated how to organize bins for STEAM and what materials to put in each bin. They even provided a shopping list, wish list and suggestions to websites that I can use for inspiration such as teacherpayteachers.com, pintrest, and more. The detail provided will be crucial for when I become a teacher because it will allow me to get organized (without the stress)!

Tasks Before Apps: Chapter 3

Image result for curiosity meme

            What really stood out to me was the importance of curiosity of children. As soon as I read this, my mind went immediately to how this statement is true in everyday life. For example, when some people are curious as adults they go about finding a solution to the problem independently. however, some other adults do not wonder and do not build upon those critical thinking skills because they were not given that leg room to be curious in school. Curious children become curious adults who problem-solve, discover solutions, and innovate. What I really took away from this is that as a teacher, you have to cultivate that curiosity. as the book said, you must be "the guide on the side." Interest surveys are a great way to engage students in the lesson and I definitely plan to use them in my class. I like the idea mentioned of showing a short video to the students and giving them time to reflect. This will students to wonder and develop questions as they are watching the video. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #12

TLNT Chapter 12 I found it interesting how this chapter addressed some of the issues that teachers come along when technology is incorporated in the classroom. What really stood out to me what that teachers were unwilling to change their lesson plans to include technology. I believe this is a major issue in education. As a teacher, you must keep up with all changes as different generations come up with different upbringings. Sometimes when teachers become too comfortable, they are unwilling to make any adjustments to their lesson plans for the benefit of their students. However, if they were to do so, they would have a much more productive classroom. I remember when I had teachers who were “old fashioned” I would become disengaged in the lesson and unmotivated to learn. Technology must be built within the lesson, not just incorporated in it, on the outskirts. To become proficient in utilizing technology in the classroom, I will be sure to go to professional development meetings t...

Post #9

TLBG: Chapter 3 Strategy 3 & 4 Strategy 3: Videos  Recording any event or using videos, is beneficial to all students because all students know how to use this already and they can be used for all subject areas. It is also accessible for all students with a variety of needs. Most importantly videos get students excited to learn something new. I enjoyed the suggestion of using a video to act as an exit slip, in which students record themselves to explain one take away from the class. I also liked the idea of using three facts and fib to scaffold the students' knowledge. The teacher writes three facts and fib on the board before watching the video and then after watching the video the students have to determine which ones are true and false. For the one that is false, they must turn it into a truth. I plan on implementing one of these ideas in my next lesson.  strategy 4: Quick Response (QR) & Augmented Reality (AR) Thinking about augmented reality, I r...