Skip to main content

Blog #1


Transforming Learning with New Technology 

Chapter 1: Becoming a 21st Century Teacher

Related image
 

     As I began to read this chapter, I immediately connected to Hilary. She knew she wanted to be a teacher ever since she was a young girl and knew she would go on to continue her dreams to do so. As a teacher, it is important to recognize how technology continues to emerge and influence the classroom. In the classroom I'm in now for student teaching, they are highly dependent on technology. They use Ipads to share student's work, smartboards to write and copy notes, and laptops to record data and share information. There are no chalkboards used in the classrooms, proving that technology is becoming more prevalent.

    What shocked me was that 4-14-year-olds prefer smartphones and tablets to any other digital device. This proves that even very young children have access to technology. I remember my family always pushing me to go outside and be active. I don't even remember phones being an option to play with when I was four.

    However, I believe that technology is a great resource for the classroom. It keeps work organized and a great way to find research. It saves teacher's and student's time by not having to go to a library to search for a book, but rather find it at the tips of their fingers. Also, being a college student, it is great to take online courses that way you have the time to do everything that you have to do in the day and then go back to your home in your bed and complete an assignment.

   It is crucial to learn about the I-Generation as it will influence our teaching. What shocked me is that about 51% of elementary students own a tablet. This is essential to know.


Chapter 1: Tasks Before Apps

     This book really put everything into perspective. Although technology is becoming a dominant feature in today's world we, as teachers, must recognize how to use technology in a classroom. We must put the "Task before Apps," meaning that we must think about the learning objective at hand before trying to use technology. We must create a lesson first and then utilize the technology somewhere into that lesson, not vice or versa. An example would be if you want a student to develop an understanding of the scientific method by conducting an experiment, there are places in which technology could be utilized. You may want to consider a Skype visit with a scientist from a university lab. This is just one of the many ways you can incorporate technology in a lesson. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #12

TLNT Chapter 12 I found it interesting how this chapter addressed some of the issues that teachers come along when technology is incorporated in the classroom. What really stood out to me what that teachers were unwilling to change their lesson plans to include technology. I believe this is a major issue in education. As a teacher, you must keep up with all changes as different generations come up with different upbringings. Sometimes when teachers become too comfortable, they are unwilling to make any adjustments to their lesson plans for the benefit of their students. However, if they were to do so, they would have a much more productive classroom. I remember when I had teachers who were “old fashioned” I would become disengaged in the lesson and unmotivated to learn. Technology must be built within the lesson, not just incorporated in it, on the outskirts. To become proficient in utilizing technology in the classroom, I will be sure to go to professional development meetings t...

Blog Post #5

Nurturing Young Innovators: Chapter 5             This chapter speaks mostly about examples and ideas of how early childhood educators can create makerspaces in the three environments they are in most which are; school, home, and community. The makerspaces encourage children to think creatively, work creatively with others, and implement innovations. What I really enjoyed about this chapter, is that it gave step by step instructions of how to get started making for new teachers, like myself. For example, the book stated how to organize bins for STEAM and what materials to put in each bin. They even provided a shopping list, wish list and suggestions to websites that I can use for inspiration such as teacherpayteachers.com, pintrest, and more. The detail provided will be crucial for when I become a teacher because it will allow me to get organized (without the stress)! Tasks Before Apps: Chapter 3     ...

Post #9

TLBG: Chapter 3 Strategy 3 & 4 Strategy 3: Videos  Recording any event or using videos, is beneficial to all students because all students know how to use this already and they can be used for all subject areas. It is also accessible for all students with a variety of needs. Most importantly videos get students excited to learn something new. I enjoyed the suggestion of using a video to act as an exit slip, in which students record themselves to explain one take away from the class. I also liked the idea of using three facts and fib to scaffold the students' knowledge. The teacher writes three facts and fib on the board before watching the video and then after watching the video the students have to determine which ones are true and false. For the one that is false, they must turn it into a truth. I plan on implementing one of these ideas in my next lesson.  strategy 4: Quick Response (QR) & Augmented Reality (AR) Thinking about augmented reality, I r...