Skip to main content

Blog Post #3

Nine Things Schools Should Consider When Creating a Technology Plan


TLNT Chapter 3 

       Technology is a great tool and advancement in the education system. It is most importantly beneficial to the students. With an ample amount of apps, websites, and resources, students are able to engage in learning in a fun way. Some applications allow rapid feedback and generate curiosity within the students. The part I like the most about technology is the ability to collaborate with others using wikis, discussion boards, online surveys, and digital storytelling. This ultimately creates more discussion within the classroom, creating a classroom community. Students will be more engaged because they will feel as though there is no judgment and everyone is their friend. This will also allow them to be open to constructive criticism, which is crucial for when they are older.

I know, I know - I need to be grateful that kids are reading and not worry about whether they are reading "real" books or using an electronic device.


Tasks Before Apps Chapter 2 
  
        This chapter really focused in on the importance of having students create a project to model their learning. This is the highest level of Bloom's Taxonomy and it really showcases the student's knowledge of a lesson or segment. Creating can also be done with technology, as it is a lot easier to do so. The chapter gave a resource called Book Creator. I would love to use this in my classroom as it intertwines many applications that many students are familiar with like Instagram and Twitter. Here, students can take a picture of something and share it with the class to create a book with the class. This incorporates the two C's; collaboration and critical thinking. The students can even create their own book with their own pages, captions, and voice-overs. This is a great way for students to assess their learning and get engaged in the process as well. As a teacher, it is also important that students have a sense of autonomy when choosing digital tools. Students should be able to have an input in how they assess their knowledge. This proves to me that I need to learn more about digital tools that way students can use different tools to curate their knowledge.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #12

TLNT Chapter 12 I found it interesting how this chapter addressed some of the issues that teachers come along when technology is incorporated in the classroom. What really stood out to me what that teachers were unwilling to change their lesson plans to include technology. I believe this is a major issue in education. As a teacher, you must keep up with all changes as different generations come up with different upbringings. Sometimes when teachers become too comfortable, they are unwilling to make any adjustments to their lesson plans for the benefit of their students. However, if they were to do so, they would have a much more productive classroom. I remember when I had teachers who were “old fashioned” I would become disengaged in the lesson and unmotivated to learn. Technology must be built within the lesson, not just incorporated in it, on the outskirts. To become proficient in utilizing technology in the classroom, I will be sure to go to professional development meetings t...

Blog Post #5

Nurturing Young Innovators: Chapter 5             This chapter speaks mostly about examples and ideas of how early childhood educators can create makerspaces in the three environments they are in most which are; school, home, and community. The makerspaces encourage children to think creatively, work creatively with others, and implement innovations. What I really enjoyed about this chapter, is that it gave step by step instructions of how to get started making for new teachers, like myself. For example, the book stated how to organize bins for STEAM and what materials to put in each bin. They even provided a shopping list, wish list and suggestions to websites that I can use for inspiration such as teacherpayteachers.com, pintrest, and more. The detail provided will be crucial for when I become a teacher because it will allow me to get organized (without the stress)! Tasks Before Apps: Chapter 3     ...

Post #9

TLBG: Chapter 3 Strategy 3 & 4 Strategy 3: Videos  Recording any event or using videos, is beneficial to all students because all students know how to use this already and they can be used for all subject areas. It is also accessible for all students with a variety of needs. Most importantly videos get students excited to learn something new. I enjoyed the suggestion of using a video to act as an exit slip, in which students record themselves to explain one take away from the class. I also liked the idea of using three facts and fib to scaffold the students' knowledge. The teacher writes three facts and fib on the board before watching the video and then after watching the video the students have to determine which ones are true and false. For the one that is false, they must turn it into a truth. I plan on implementing one of these ideas in my next lesson.  strategy 4: Quick Response (QR) & Augmented Reality (AR) Thinking about augmented reality, I r...