February 24th, 2019
TLNT Chapter 5
A part of this chapter that really stood out to me was Google. Up until this course, I was not familiar with how to use it. Now that I have been utilizing it, I really enjoy the many features Google has to offer. One of my favorite parts of Google is Google Drive, which allows individuals to work together on a project and even provide feedback on an individual's work. I also like the search engine KidRex, which is a kid-friendly search engine that shows appropriate and relevant sources that students can use. Ensuring that students are presented with appropriate technology tools is essential to incorporating such tools in the classroom. using online resources also enhance students' ability to critically think because not all information is valuable. Some problems of information on the web is 1) misinformation 2) malinformation 3) messed-up information and 4) most-useless information. Although many people are hesitant about using Wikipedia, like me, it can be beneficial to incorporate in a lesson. You can have students compare the information on Wikipedia and other websites to see which one is true. Using technology in the classroom is a great resource, however, you must be a digital citizen, as you would be a good citizen in the real world.
Nurturing Young Innovators Chapter 1

I also did not know how many great tools Google had for students to use in the classroom! One that really stood out to me that i discussed in my blog post was Google Handwrite. You are able to write directly on your I-pad when searching something on Google. This is very useful for those students with IEPs or just for students in general that would rather write instead of typing, or are having a hard time typing.
ReplyDeleteHi Amber,
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your post I felt the same way about google. I used it last semester and really wasn't used to and felt my friends knew so much more than me. However, this semester I'm using it for all my classes and really got the hang of it now. I really am surprised about how so many people can work on the same file at the same time using google drive. It really is a great tool and I would love to get to know more about it.
I really enjoy using google drive, not only for my own work but also for my students. In my current classroom, each student has their own school Gmail account. They are allowed to create presentations and share them with the teacher. I think it can be used as a way for the teacher to see student progress on work, individual or group work, and see how students edit their writing.
ReplyDelete