TLNT: Chapter 6


What interested me from this chapter was game-based learning. I plan to implement this in my classroom because I feel that it engages students in lessons. This chapter brought to my attention that we must be careful that the games we use in the classroom are appropriate for school and focus on higher order thinking, the real world, and an option to replay the game with a different outcome. If games are implemented properly in the classroom, students are able to think critically and creatively. There is an ongoing debate about whether game based learning benefits children or not, but I believe that it depends on the class and child. I will implement these games depending on how the students respond to it. In the class in am student teaching in, they use goose chase to create a classroom competition about mathematics problems. The students are always engaged in the lesson, and see it more as a game then and educational platform.
Nurturing Young Learners: Chapter 4

This chapter focused on the importance of choice, creativity, and innovativeness in the classroom. Reading this chapter opened my eyes about how to incorporate choice in the classroom. I could allow them to sit where they want, choose the due date, which groups they want to work with and their own research topics. I believe choosing their own topics is essential because it will get them more engaged, while also meeting the same learning objective as everyone else. When thinking about my students, I believe having different types of chairs like the balance ball chair would be great because a lot of my students have difficulty paying attention. However, you must be careful that students do not just play on the chair, they must use it while completing an assignment. I also enjoyed "genius hour" in which students have time set aside to explore what interests them such as their passions, interests, and things they wonder about. As a kid, it is crucial that they open their minds and are curious. By having this genius hour, students are able to think and wonder.

Hi Amber,
ReplyDeleteI agree it is important to support student creativity and interest through choice. This will increase motivation and engagement. In addition, constructing a democratic classroom valuing students' opinions and interests by being more open to them choosing their own research topics.