TLNT Chapter 11
Assessing student work is an essential part of learning and monitoring progress. Online platforms are great way to aid assessments. Teachers and students are able to see how they are doing in school and recognize areas where they can improve, serving as a self-assessment tool. Digital portfolios are also a great tool to incorporate inside and outside the classroom. They display content with a fun feel. However, sometimes portfolios may be driven more by the design than the content. Using this in a classroom with be beneficial; however, depending on the ages of the students, they may be distracted by the creativeness and lose sight of the content. I personally always enjoyed reading blogs because they deliver the same content as a textbook, but are displayed in a more engaging, creative way. I also like the idea of clickers. I saw this utilized in a workshop in the school I am student teaching in and the kids LOVED it. It seemed as though they immediately stopped what they were doing to participate in the activity. For this reason I would love to use this in my future classroom, whether it be with clickers or their computers/IPads. I can use applications such as quizlet or Kahoot in order to do so, and the best part is that they can be used in all subject areas.
I agree that online platforms are a great way to aid assessments. Teachers and students can self-assess themselves and improve their work on their own. Digital portfolios are great to teach students at a young age so that they have this great tool at their disposal for the rest of their life!
ReplyDelete